IMG_5914[1]

I put off working on this project for almost two years.  I was nervous to get started on modifying the IKEA’s “lack” tables.  I came across a website, Ikea Hackers, from my Pinterest page.  I was immediately drawn to the picture and knew I had to make one.   I wanted to repurpose the table to give it a high-end feel to the apartment.   The outcome was a success!

My friends, Olivia and Iram, kept urging me to work on it and that they would help me if I needed it. The only thing that kept me from moving forward was the upholstery nails itself!  I determined that I would need  about 1300 nails (to cover all four sides of the table).  I kept an eye on Amazon, hoping to find a good deal, but the best I could find was $120.  (so I figured that I’d save up and put this project on the back burner)

Per my usual weekend routine, I swung by MaryJo’s and lo and behold, I found upholstery nail tacks!  I quickly calculated the cost.. and would you know?  I saved more money at the fabric store over Amazon. It was roughly $62, that saved me $53! WIN!

IMG_4868[1]

How I started the project:

I decided I wanted to individually nail in the tables with the antique silver nails I have found.

I measured out the spacing of the table with a pencil and marked where I would hammer in the nails.

IMG_4938[1]
IMG_4976[1]
IMG_5535
IMG_5537

I saw that MaryJo’s recommended a rubber mallet.  I did not want to spend $9 on a mallet that I doubt I’d reuse.  So instead, I used: my own hammer, leftover heavy duck cloth fabric, and a rubber band; I created my own make shift cushioned hammer.  It worked really well, because you don’t see the “metal on metal” mark on the nails, while  keeping the nails protected.

IMG_5929[1]

IMG_4978[1]

And then it was hammer time.  I wanted to ensure that the lines where as straight as possible and evenly nailed in place as I could.  I have to admit, it was very difficult.  As you can see below, I started from the top, then nailed the bottom, then skipped to the bottom, and finally nailed the sides.  I just wanted to see pieces of the nailing come together.
IMG_5912[1]
IMG_5533[1]

But it got a little tricky when I started nailing the bottom of the top half of the table. Also, I needed to keep it stabilized, so it would not move. I went to Lowe’s and found me the necessary materials.

IMG_5203
IMG_5221

Since there was already an existing hole in the bottom of the table, I flipped over the side of the table and pulled out a drill driver. I drilled each of the four holes through into the bottom of the legs. Then I had to drill in the nails from the underside of the top table into the leg of the nails. Mission accomplished! The table itself is now sturdy and sound.

IMG_5192

IMG_5913[1]
IMG_5217

The end result…
IMG_5899[1]

I say stylish and contemporary!

Enjoy!
Love,
sunshinebelinda

IMG_5966
IMG_5970

Project spent & materials:
– 2 Ikea “LACK” white tables at $9.99 each
– 55 bags of 25 count matte silver nail heads at $1.19 each / $66.37
– 4 wood screws #10 x 3-1/2″ flat head phillips
– drill bit and drill driver
– pencil to mark areas of where to nail
– time, patience, and math.

One Comment on “the IKEA lack table, repurposed stylishly

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: